HELMUT NEWTON PHOTOGRAPHY

Helmut Newton is one of the most important and controversial photographers of the 20th Century. Newton’s pictures, whether fashion, nude or portraits, are often highly erotic, bold, and provocative.

I can confidently state that I'm adding Helmut Newton to my favourite photographer's list with Viviane Sassen

 Woman examining the man, Saint-Tropez 1975 for ‘American Vogue’

Elsa Peretti, New York 1973

I find Newton's photographs to be extremely aesthetic and feminine with a dash of daring. When he photographs women, he makes sure that they look confident in their own skin, he makes them look angelic and powerful in a way that feminists may argue about. Even before getting into the studies of fashion, I recognised some of Helmut Newton's work and the young girl living inside of me thought that I want to be one of those women, I wanted to feel sexy and confident and passionate about everything that's around me.



PHOTOGRAPHY: 

  • Subversive approach;
  • Erotically charged, inverted expectations of fashion narrative;
  • The majority of his photographs are B&W;
  • Codes of gender, power vs vulnerability;
  • Focus on casting and relationships as well as location, homage.
 “There must be a certain look of availability in the women I photograph,” he said of his models. “I think the woman who gives the appearance of being available is sexually much more exciting than a woman who's completely distant. This sense of availability I find erotic.”

If Juergen Teller made his women look natural, raw and realistic, Helmut Newton made them look perfect in every way: their skin was shiny like silk, smiles were pearl white and lipstick precise. That's what makes them look angelic and even 'too good to be true' and I absolutely adore this illusion. 

All the love in the world,
Karolina x 








Komentarų nėra:

Rašyti komentarą

Instagram