THE MET GALA 2019


The first Monday of May. The most important fashion event of the year. The most iconic night. The most iconic fashion. The Oscars of fashion. What more needs to be said. Oh right, Camp! The theme for this year was Camp: Notes of Fashion. A lot of people got confused by the name, and to be fair, so was I when I first came across it. In all honesty, looking at the pictures, it seems that a lot of designers were confused as well. Now I'm no serious expert when it comes to fashion but I am studying it, so my opinion is a bit more 'educated' and dare I say 'reasonable'. In one of the Vogue videos on Youtube with Lady Gaga and her level of camp, she quoted the essay by Susan Suntag Notes on "Camp" and perfectly understood the meaning of this year's theme. 

"Camp is who you are. It's not who you TRY to be."

The majority of designers and celebrities understood Camp as being as extra as you can to the point where the garment looks costumey, tacky. And that's exactly what Katy Perry brought to the pink carpet. Yes, she looked insane and definitely original but to me, her outfit looked like a very expensive Halloween costume. The chandelier looked glamorous (I actually did like the chandelier) but the burger... That was definitely a costume, not Camp. Yes it was weird, funny and crazy but there has to be a line where Camp ends and costume starts or am I missing something? If I touched on costumes, some may argue that Zendaya and her Cinderella fantasy was also a costume and that's correct. But her entrance, her whole aesthetics was Camp. The performance that she put on with the fairy dust and the light up dress, her body language itself was glamorous and she breathed with elegance. That's the thing though, I'm disappointed that Katy didn't do a dramatic entrance, she just came in and stood there. The performance wasn't LIT. (I had do)

I could get into my faves and hates of the night but that would be boring as we all have seen the photos at this point. I'm writing this post as more of a personal opinion on this whole shebang in general. 

Last year, all I cared about were the outfits and the beautification of the look but now, when I'm more mature and can form an opinion based on research, I am more into the idea of that Gala, the meaning of it. 
On Sunday, I watched the documentary The First Monday of May to get me even more excited about the event. Looking at the rooms and exhibits that I saw myself when I visited New York back in January was incredible to the point where I started to tear up. News flash, I am a sentimental cry-baby. But the documentary was inspiring and eye-opening, for the first time I looked at the Met Gala not only as a red carpet event full of beautiful dresses but as an event with purpose and meaning, with a story. I looked into the exhibit, I started following the official Instagram accounts of The Met and got insights that prepared me for the carpet, that gave me a base to form an opinion from. And really, it is just all blown up in this modern era, a few decades ago it truly was all about the purpose, but now, everybody only cares about the outfits. And that 's something that celebrities, designers and organizers have to start spreading awareness about. Maybe, dressing famous people in outfits that don't quite represent the theme is their way of forcing people to look into what the theme actually was? Yes, everyone understands Camp differently but if there's a certain description of how it's supposed to look and you still don't do it, there has to be a reason for it, right? 

Komentarų nėra:

Rašyti komentarą

Instagram