THE TIPPING POINT by Malcolm Gladwell


Over the course of two weeks, I've read a book called The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and it wasn't WOW.

The book was really scientific, a lot of information and dates and percentages - I don't do that. However, I did enjoy his point of view about certain things. It's not a brand new information that little things make a big difference, we've heard that sentence a hundred times by now. 
But what I did find interesting is the different types of people that Gladwell talks about: 

Mavensmake change happen through information and ideas. These are the people you ask whenever you want to know something about anything — they’re always the people in the know. They’re builders, engineers, process folks, and system folks. It’s all about the ideas and the information.
Connectors - make change happen through people. They galvanize people. They’re natural hubs. That’s just the way they’re oriented to the world. These are people who, every time you ask a question, start flipping a Rolodex in the back of their mind, saying, “Who do I know who knows this? Who do I know who has done this? Who do I know that I need to connect you with?” They love connecting you with people, because they’re all about the people.
Salespeople - make change happen through persuasion. They can take an idea, make it sticky and accessible, and position it to get a tribe behind it. Salespeople are your storytellers and masters of persuasion. These are the people who can borrow your watch and then sell it back to you. They just have this uncanny ability to get you to buy into whatever they’re selling, whether it’s an idea, a plan, or a product — it doesn’t matter.

(Maven, Connector, or Salesperson: What’s Your Archetype? by Charlie Gilkey in productiveflourishing.com) 

The examples that he provided were interesting and he made some great points, however, I think that this book could be summed up in a 8 page article rather than a 300 page book. It became boring to read, exhausting even. That's why it took me so long to finish it. I read it on a plane and I felt like I needed to truly focus if I wanted to get everything. To be honest, it's hard to even remember some of the things I read. But once I focused and paid attention to the facts, it all made sence and I enjoyed it. But it is tiring to read that kind of book. I read it because I had to and not because I wanted to. 

Other than being exhausting to read, it finally came down to three major rules of the tipping point: 
  • Law of the Few (people who influence)
  • Stickyness Factor (make it interesting and touching)
  • The Power of Context (to change human behavior you have to change the context the problem is presented in)

Komentarų nėra:

Rašyti komentarą

Instagram